If you have been waiting to buy a new truck, Chevrolet introduces the 2024 Silverado HD. The 2024 Chevy Silverado HD arrives with powertrain upgrades, an overhauled interior, enhancements to its trailering technology, and infotainment and active safety technology upgrades.
“We’ve designed the Silverado HD to be our customers’ favored choice for true truck capability,” says Scott Bell, vice president of Chevrolet. “The enhancements to the 2024 model build on its core strengths to provide an even stronger balance of the design, strength, and confidence that makes tackling the hard jobs, including trailering, easier and more convenient than ever.”
The lineup includes 2500HD and 3500HD models in Regular Cab, Double Cab, and Crew Cab configurations. Dual-rear-wheel models are available on 3500HD and they support the lineup’s highest trailering capacity: 36,000 pounds. The 2024 Chevy Silverado HD is available in Work Truck, Custom, LT, LTZ, and High Country trims. ZR2 will join the HD trim lineup later in the model year for the first time.
The new Duramax 6.6-liter turbo diesel V8 engine does get a few upgrades for 2024. For starters, the horsepower and torque numbers increase to 470 and 975 respectively. Additional changes and upgrades were designed to produce a more efficient combustion, which enhances overall performance. Further, engineers enhanced low-end torque production by nearly 25 percent which is great when driving at low speeds or climbing grades, particularly when trailering.
Another upgrade for the HD lineup is that for the first time, the proven Allison 10-speed automatic transmission is now standard equipment for both the Silverado HD’s powertrains: the standard 6.6-liter gas engine and the available Duramax turbo diesel. It replaces the gas engine’s previous six-speed automatic, offering smaller “steps” between the gears, which enables the 6.6-liter gas engine to hold closer to its peak power for longer periods.
The 2024 Chevy Silverado HD also features an updated front-end appearance with a new fascia, headlights, grille, and more. The C-shaped LED headlights frame the new fascia, inspired by the signature design of the Silverado 1500, while bold, new headlights on LTZ, ZR2, and High Country models feature dual-projector technology.
Six new exterior colors have been added as well: Sterling Gray, Dark Ash, Radiant Red, Auburn Metallic, Lakeshore Blue Metallic (late availability), and Meteorite Metallic (late availability).
The lineup also retains the popular Z71 Sport Edition, Z71 Chrome Sport Edition, and Midnight Special Edition appearance packages, as well as the Alaskan Snow Plow Special Edition.
In addition to the exterior styling updates, all models receive a new interior designed for greater work-ready functionality and next-level technology integration.
LT, LTZ, and High Country models introduce a dramatically redesigned passenger area that is centered around an all-new instrument panel that houses a 13.4-inch-diagonal infotainment display. A 12.3-inch-diagonal configurable driver information center complements the new infotainment display. The infotainment screen and other controls are also canted toward the driver, giving the driver more of a “command center” perspective. According to Chevrolet, the design is pulled directly from the simple and iconic looks of the C/K Series trucks set in the 1970s and 1980s.
This smarter command center also includes a redesigned wireless phone charger area to reduce distractions and a flow-under console. The latter design provides the spaciousness of a bench seat while retaining the functionality of a center console. Ahead of the driver is an available and configurable head-up display.
“It’s a more open-feeling and contemporary interior that passengers will find inviting,” says Phil Zak, executive director of Global Chevrolet Design. “It’s an environment that intentionally puts more at the driver’s fingertips, for a greater feeling of confidence and connection with the vehicle.”
Chevy Silverado Interior Upgrades
- Fresh screen displays and graphics inspired by the recently refreshed Silverado 1500
- Authentic leather-wrapped surfaces and real wood accents available on certain models
- New center console on LT, LTZ, and High Country models that incorporates an available wireless charger4
- More space for side-by-side cupholders in the console: There is a total of 10 total cupholders available, depending on the model and configuration
- New audio control knobs that help strike an ideal balance between physical and digital controls, along with similar buttons recently introduced in the refreshed Silverado 1500 that allow some popular features to be accessed with a single pus
- Chevrolet’s trailering technologies are designed to improve any towing chore with optimal visibility, easier trailer connecting, and greater driving comfort when towing a trailer. It’s improved with the 2024 Silverado HD, with a number of enhanced and new features:
- Adaptive Cruise Control with Trailer is an all-new technology for Silverado HD. It allows the Silverado HD’s available Adaptive Cruise Control to account for additional drag and increased braking distances when towing a trailer.
- Enhanced Transparent Trailer expands the current Transparent Trailer technology by allowing it to work with fifth wheel and gooseneck trailers
- Trailer Side Blind Zone Alert2 extends the blind zone area of interest to help enhance safety and situational awareness when trailering
- GCW Alert warns the driver if the vehicle and trailer weight exceeds the vehicle’s Gross Combined Weight Rating
Additionally, the max tow package is now available across all Silverado 2500 trims, bolstering the maximum towing capability for the 2500HD series equipped with the 6.6-liter engine to 22,500 pounds.