It’s official: America’s favorite “bowtie brand” has returned for another round of the Chevrolet SEMA Design Awards Program for 2019. To quote Chevy directly, the goal is to, “…provide the most talented car builders in the industry with an opportunity to be recognized for showcasing Chevrolet products with thoughtful styling and elite craftsmanship.”
While the registration cut-off date of October 25th has already passed, Chevrolet tells us that one wildcard entry will be permitted for registration at the 2019 SEMA Show itself, and that pre-registration is not required for the Designer’s Choice Award.
That said, here are some of the requirements for those contending for this year’s top Chevy SEMA Design Awards.
- Preservation of the Chevrolet Bowtie emblem, if originally equipped, on the front of vehicle.
- Use of a Chevy gas powertrain, Duramax diesel engine, GM electric powertrain, or non-competitive OEM electric powertrain.
- Current body-style Chevrolet vehicles, performance parts, accessories and crate engines are highly encouraged.
While the following may not be required, builders who integrate these Chevy components into their builds stand a much higher chance of being recognized and awarded accordingly.
- Chevrolet Performance Parts integration, including suspension, brake, induction and exhaust systems
- Chevrolet Accessories integration, including wheels, spoilers and illuminated bowties
- Chevrolet crate engine or connect and cruise integration
- Innovative technology integration of electric powertrains and 3D manufacturing
2019 Chevy SEMA Design Awards categories include:
- Chevy SEMA Car of the Year
- Chevy SEMA Truck of the Year
- Best Off Road Truck Build
- Best Track Build
- Innovative Use of Technology
- Designer’s Choice
“We are anxious to open submissions for this year’s Chevrolet Design Awards and look forward to seeing the best of the best design builds for each of our categories,” says Matt Noone, GM design director and Chevy enthusiast. “We are also very excited to introduce a newly designed special-edition trophy for 2019 to celebrate the landmark launch of the mid-engine ’20 Corvette Stingray.”
As for this award presentation ceremony that Mr. Noone speaks of, coverage will be tackled via Chevrolet’s various media channels, with each category winner receiving a newly designed mid-engine ’20 Chevy Corvette Stingray special-edition trophy. We look forward to seeing the variety of contenders that will emerge in a couple of weeks for the 2019 Chevy SEMA Design Awards! Attending the SEMA show and want to enter? Be sure to register on the Chevy SEMA website.