Off-Roading is truly about pursuing adventure. Finding freedom outside the developed world and off the paved pathways is what I live for. There are a few products that help us extend our capacity to do that. Titan Fuel Tanks is one of those marvels that unlock our potential and expand our horizons. In this article, Go Fast Explorers shows us how to get it done!
If you are anything like me, then traversing long off-road trips is part of the game. I hate having to worry about if that next gas station will be in range when I start dropping below an ⅛ of a tank. What is the answer? Hauling around fuel jugs and jerry cans is a viable solution for some.
Carrying extra fuel is commonplace but could be cumbersome for many vehicle setups.
Extended fuel capacity should not be a novelty so when I found out about the Trail Trekker II™ Tank, I wanted to put it through some real-world testing.
Go Fast Explorer Goes Farther With Titan Trail Trekker
I turned to my old friend and colleague Travis Asch who started an outfit called Go Fast Explorers. The dude burns through some serious fuel ripping trails down in Baja and all over San Diego County. I figured Travis and his GFE Explorer would be the ultimate case study for a Titan Trail Trekker.
Travis spent years in the off-road industry and started building himself some pretty rad and very capable 91-94 era Ford Explorers. He shares his love of off-roading with his young son and together they roam the back roads and desert trails of East County San Diego. Travis learned to finely tune his off-road 4×4 Explorer into a well-balanced capable rig that was ultimately reliable.
This knowledge and passion allowed Asch to parlay well-founded experience to help others build their own explorers. Naturally, this all helped evolved Go Fast Explorers into an active social community, fun runs, vehicle builds, and an online marketplace to supply these projects.
After too long of sorting out logistics, I was finally able to get the system deployed and on its way. Travis received the package and had it installed within a half hour. Without haste, he was actually putting it to use within hours on his way to Baja California with an extra load of fuel. 12 gallons extra, to be precise as that is the Trail Trekker’s advertised capacity.
Titan Trail Trekker Hardware Explained
In this second picture presented above, you can see the lug pattern was already determined with mounting locations and studs pressed in.
Titan Trail Trekker Features
- 12 gallon / 45 Liter capacity
- Fits all stock and most aftermarket tire carriers
- Simple Installation
- Multiple cutouts for many different bolt patterns and orientations
- Fits 5-inch, 6-inch, and 8-inch bolt patterns
- Sized for 15-inch wheels and larger
- Fits Up to 37-inch tire
- High-strength steel mounting hardware
- Compatible with HiLift Jack Mounts
- Tank is fully grounded
- Lifetime Warranty
- FREE 2 gpm Shaker Transfer Hose included
The Self Priming Shaker Siphon Hose is the real gem of this package. This device easily transfers fuel from the Titan Trekker to any other tank. The brass portion drops down into the Titan and is then shaken up and down until a siphon is created. At that point with some maneuvering, you are able to allow the fuel to transfer between tanks hands-free.
The Main Tank Mounting Bracket, pictured in the lower left of the image below is what bolts into your vehicle’s existing spare tire mount. This bracket also has five mounting holes that allow the tank to actually bolt to it. The five bolts to the right of the bracket are the bolts that pass through the mounting plate and thread into the tank to secure it tightly to the main bracket.
Shown above is the Main Tank Mounting Bracket bolted in place with the five supplied mounting bolts. At this point, everything is ready to mate up to the vehicle.
To presents how easy the process was, he put together a video that demonstrates the installation.
Important Notes to Consider With The Titan Trail Trekker
Really, the main thing to understand is this tank is designed to locate 12 gallons of flammable liquid to the back of a moving vehicle.
Titan Fuel Tanks declares it is intended for temporary storage only. When loaded, a full tank adds approximately 100 lbs. or 45 kg of additional weight to the rear of your vehicle. This will absolutely affect your suspension and how the vehicle handles during both on and off-road driving. Every user should ensure the mounting point on the vehicle is sufficient for the weight. If you are working on 4×4 off-road trail rigs, you should already be well informed of what this all requires.
Travis has been ripping around in his flagship Go Fast Explorers rig carrying extra fuel when desired. So far, he has two Baja trips and a bunch of local runs in the books with zero issues.
This Trail Trekker just changed the game for me. The 12 additional gallons put me at a total of 31. My range is now 400+ miles depending on terrain. It transfers fuel to my tank or any other vehicle’s tank through a simple ball valve-style siphon hose. I plan to do some extended long-range missions and am stoked to see how far I can explore!
Titan Trail Trekker Fits Multiple Vehicles
Titan Fuel Tanks have refined the Trail Trekker to be the most optimized liquid transfer tanks for this configuration. It has a bunch of built in features and is available in different kit configurations to fit most vehicles.
- TITAN Trail Trekker II™ Tank for Jeep JL (4040487)
– Fits Jeep JL ONLY
- TITAN Trail Trekker II™ Tank for Jeep Wrangler (4040287)
– Fits Jeeps, Trucks, and SUVS with 5 studs x 4 ½”, 5”, or 5 ½” patterns
- TITAN Trail Trekker II™ Tank for Vehicles with 6 Stud Wheels (4040387)
– Fits Jeeps, Trucks, and SUVS with 6 studs x 5 ½” patterns
Additionally, Titan confirms its compatibility with most aftermarket bumpers and tire carriers. This includes but is not limited to:
- Ace Pro Series Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier
- ADD Venom Tire Carrier
- ARB Tire Carrier & Bumper
- Bestop Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier
- Currie Tire Carrier
- EVO Hinged Tire Carrier
- Fab Fours JK Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier
- Garvin G2
- Poison Spyder Rock Brawler II Rear Bumper w/Tire Carrier
- RBP Pro-Series Rear Bumper & Tire Carrier
- Red Rock 4×4 Hinged Tire Carrier
- Rock Hard Patriot Series
- Rock Slide Engineering Rigid Rear Bumper and Tire Carrier
- Rugged Ridge XHD Rear Bumper with Swing and Lock Tire Carrier
- Rugged Ridge HD Tire Carrier Kit for JK
- Slee Off Road Swing Out Carrier
- Smittybilt XRC Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier
- Teraflex Hinged Carrier with Stock JK Tire Mount
- Teraflex Hinged Carrier and Adjustable Tire Mount
- Warn Rock Crawler Rear Bumper and Tire Carrier
- Warn Elite Series Rear Bumper and Tire Carrier
- Wilco Off Road Hitch Gate