“For years, hardcore Jeep Wrangler off-road enthusiasts have been modifying axles to achieve better performance, and we’ve been paying attention,” said Bill Gryzenia, vice president and general manager, Dana Aftermarket. “We have incorporated a number of new ideas into The Ultimate Dana 60 axle family to deliver unmatched performance off-road.”
Dana introduced The Ultimate Dana 60 axles for the Jeep Wrangler JK at the 2014 SEMA Show. The new axle line, which includes bolt-in replacement upgrades for front and rear axles on the Jeep Wrangler JK, reflects the experience of serious off-roaders and incorporates many of the features they have wanted for a long time.
Among these improvements are 35-spline, SAE-4340 nickel chromoly steel axle shafts designed for higher torque, larger tires, and severe off-road duty. A much more robust carrier with Spicer ring and pinion gears, massive SPL 70 u-joints that are exclusive to Dana, a full-floating design for greater load-carrying capacity, and upgraded heavy-duty brakes with plug-and-play ABS, are all part of the new Dana Ultimate 60 Axle.
The Ultimate Dana 60 front and rear axles are initially available through Mopar dealers, but will also be eventually sold through Dana distributors. Other key benefits and features of the Ultimate Dana 60 axles include:
- Selectable locking electronic differentials.
- Spicer 1350 strap-style, half-round end yoke.
- Nodular-iron differential cover with protective ribbing.
- Warn 35-spline hub locks.
- Dead spindle design for increased strength and ease of service.
- High-clearance carrier with ribbed housing design.
- Heavy-duty, 8 x 6.5-inch wheel bolt pattern.
- Axles are available in both a 4.88 and 5.38 ratio.
- The Ultimate Dana 60 front and rear axles come with Spicer performance ring and pinion gears that are precision heat treated and shot-peened.
- The mating faces are hobbed to ensure precise mating of the gear teeth and to deliver a quieter ride.
- The mating faces are also lapped to reduce gear noise and heat.