In our last edition of Off Road Xtreme’s Ultimate Fathers Day Gift Guide, we presented an assortment of high-end off-road gear. All of the latest equipment one would need for a successful outing on the trail is very necessary. The next segment will feature the latest and greatest Camp Upgrades. Equally important is having good hand tools and adequate safety supplies.
Ultimate Fathers Day Gift Guide: First Aid And Safety
Our fathers are pretty important to us. Off-roading is fun but it should be taken seriously. Having a well-equipped first aid kit and a working fire extinguisher on hand should not be overlooked. We want grumpy guts coming home eventually.
1Life Trauma First Aid Kit
This specially designed 1Life Trauma First Aid Kit is made specifically for off-roaders, Jeepers, duners, and UTV enthusiasts. First developed for off-road desert racing made by racers, for racers, the 1Life Trauma First Aid Kit is dust-proof and crush-proof with a water-resistant, o-ring sealed, high-density plastic box.
The kit is well thought out and professionally equipped similarly to trauma kits costing $300 or more. The 1Life Trauma First Aid Kit sells for $200 with an optional cage mounting system available.
1Life Trauma First Aid Kit Contents:
- 1LTK Dustproof, crushproof, water-resistant, high-density plastic box with an O-ring seal and heavy-duty latches.
- SAM XT individually wrapped Tourniquet, Hi-Viz with pictorial instructions
- SAM Splint, 36 Inch flat, 5 Ounce
- 1/8 cup emergency drinking water pouch
- 4 ounces of Eyewash
- 4-1/2 inches x 4-1/8 yard of kerlix
- Elastic bandage 4-inches x 15-feet
- Surgical grade Trauma sheers
- McKesson 4-inches x 6-inches cold packs
- Emergency mylar blanket
- 1-inch x 5-yards self-adherent cohesive tape
- Mckesson Performance plus Gauze Sponge Cover Dressing Sterile, 4-inches x 4-inches
- Ammonia Inhalant 33 cc
- Burn Cream with Lidocaine, 0.9 gm x 4 Packets
- BD Alcohol Swabs x 4
- McKesson Transparent Surgical Tape, 1-inches x 10-yards
- 200 mg Ibuprofen (800 mg per kit)
- Acetaminophen x 1000 mg per kit
- Flexible Fabric Adhesive Bandages x 8 per kit
- Israeli quick clot Bandage Battle Dressing First Aid Compression Bandage, 4-inches x 6-inches
- McKesson Triple Antibiotic Ointment, 5 Gram x 4 per kit
- Adhesive Bandage, Butterfly Fab, Medium, 3/8-inches x 1-13/16 inches Sterile x 8 per kit
- Black Nitrile Gloves – individually wrapped as a pair x 1 per kit
- 1LTK Signature Every Day Kit Bag
SafeCraft Fire Extinguisher
Fire extinguishers really should be in every vehicle, especially in off-road rigs. When selecting a rugged and durable fire extinguisher, it is not the best idea to go for the cheapest option. SafeCraft designs and manufactures high-quality fire suppression systems for motorsports, industry, marine, and aviation. Their products are tried and true in off-road racing which is why they get a mention here.
The SafeCraft Models PB3 / PB5Halotron™ I CLEAN AGENT fire extinguishers are 3-pounds and 5-pounds respectively. Unlike other extinguishers on the market, these SafeCraft extinguishers effectively suppress vehicle fires using a non-compacting liquid extinguishing agent. They are aluminum cylinders, manually activated, portable systems that can be flat mounted or fixed to a roll cage.
The optional quick-release bracket is custom-designed to offer the versatility of placement and ease of use. Just FLIP the lever, GRAB and GO for rapid deployment.
Safecraft produces each product by the highest manufacturing standards. Basically, this means it is all made out of super trick billet machined pieces. Dad will love it, but your wallet will suffer. The 3-pounder starts at $259. By the time you add a quick-release mount, it is over $500.
SafeCraft Fire Extinguisher Product Features:
- Contain Halotron™ I CLEAN AGENT.
- Agent Qty: 3-pounds / 5-pounds
- Cylinder Type: Aluminum
- Overall Length: 15.7-inches / 16.7-inches
- Cylinder Diameter: 3.25-inches / 4-inches
- Nominal Weight:* 4.8-pounds / 7.5-pounds
- Quick Release Bracket Nom. Weight: 1.5-pounds
Ultimate Fathers Day Gift Guide: Tools For The Trail
There is not a guy in the world who does not appreciate nice new tools. Every dad who ventures out on off-road adventures needs to be packing good reliable hardware. We recently came across Gerber’s Overland Collection of problem-solving gear and equipment. Gerber owns a strong and renewed reputation when it comes to its products. Soldiers deployed on the battlefield and first responders serving in the homeland rely on Gerber equipment every day.
If the gear is good enough for them, I feel confident recommending it for dads out on the trail.
Gerber Folding Shovel
A good compact digging tool is essential. I do not have enough fingers or toes to count how many times I have come across a vehicle buried up to the frame. In every scenario when a shovel was available, it was very helpful. For this reason, I always carry a compact folding shovel in my rig, and your dad should too!
The Gorge Folding Shovel from Gerber weighs in at only 28 ounces and comes with a limited lifetime warranty. Gerber’s Fathers Day sale special price has it listed at $26.
Gerber Gorge Product Features:
- Easy-to-use push-button slide mechanism
- Glass-filled Nylon Handle
- Pick made for hard-packed ground
- Hammer feature at the base, great for hammering tent stakes
- Nylon drawstring bag for easy transport
- Small, compact size great for camping, backpacking, etc.
- Limited lifetime warranty
- Weight 28-ounces
Gerber Bushcraft Hatchet
When traveling in the backcountry a good quality ax is a must-have. It really is a multi-purpose do it all tool that should go on every adventure. From pounding in stakes to slaughtering firewood and hucking camp side for target practice, Gerber’s Bushcraft Hatchet can be dad’s new go-to.
Its ergonomic design reduces weight and improves grip for long-haul use, and the blade features machined relief for deeper cuts. Made out of forged steel and weighing in at 2.4-pounds, the Bushcraft Hatchet is a durable corrosion-resistant survival tool with a limited lifetime warranty. It is listed at $70.
Gerber Bushcraft Hatchet Product Features:
- Waterproof gear storage stick
- 5-feet of Paracord
- Dry tinder or mini lighter storage
- Forged single piece axe head and overstrike guard
- Rubber overmold grip
- Porting for weight reduction
- Overall length: 15.25-inches
- Blade length: 5.5-inches
- Limited lifetime warranty
- Weight 2.4-pounds
Multi-Tools are my favorite piece of my on-person EDC. With these things usually costing a hefty investment, I spend a great amount of care, selecting the tool right for me. I typically clip it on the inside of my front pocket so I do not want something bulky. I just want it to work well packing the few tools useful to me. Most dads will likely find it useful too.
Gerber’s Center Drive multi-tool features a center-axis driver that opens to align like a real screw driver. It also boasts a complete bit set, spring-loaded pliers, is berry compliant, and comes with a sheath. The fact that it is made in America has me sold for $135.
Gerber Center Drive Multi-Tool Product Features:
- Closed Length: 4.7-inches
- Open Length: 6.6-inches
- One-thumb opening system
- Spring-loaded needle nose pliers w/ X-Channel rail system
- Rotatable carbide wire cutters & strippers
- Full-size 3.25-inches 420HC plain edge blade
- Magnetic 3.2-inches center-axis bit driver
- Pry bar w/ nail puller & bottle opener
- Serrated blade
- Awl, file
- Magnetic flathead and Phillips bits
- Lanyard hole
- Made in USA
- Berry-compliant sheath made in USA
- Limited lifetime warranty
- Length – 4.7-inches
- Weight – 9.5-ounces
Gerber Strongarm – Coyote Brown, Serrated Fixed Blade
A good fixed blade should be waste-side on every outing. I am a knife fanatic, and I am sure most dads are too. If your dad does not have a serrated edge, full tang 420HC steel blade, then it is time to consider the Gerber’s USA-made Strongarm.
When I hold this knife in my hands the first thing that stands out is the rubberized diamond-texture grip wrapped around the striking pommel. The Strongarm comes with an array of carrying options for traditional drop-leg, horizontal belt, or vertical molle system. It is a great buy at only $90 for a full tang steel blade made in Portland, Oregon.
Another cool thing is that Gerber allows for unlimited personalization of several of their top knife products including the Strongarm. The customization options include choosing from images, symbols, patterns, or uploading graphics to spur up dads old memories. To make this the perfect Father’s Day gift, text can be added for further personalization.
Gerber Serrated Strongarm Product Features:
- Serrated edge, full tang 420HC steel blade
- Ceramic blade coating
- Rubberized diamond-texture grip
- Striking pommel
- Nylon webbing for drop-leg carry and secondary retention
- Detachable belt hoops for horizontal belt carry
- Snap-in MOLLE strap
- Made in USA
- Limited lifetime warranty
- Length – 9.8-inches
- Weight – 7.2-ounces
Boxo Tool Roll
I can tell you right now if you want to change your dad’s life this coming Father’s Day, all you need to do is hand him one of these. The BOXO KOH Tool Bag with Tool Set, and Trail Bag is a super deluxe complete setup. This thing is loaded with an 80-piece metric tool kit of professional mechanic grade and comes with a solid lifetime warranty. The bag itself is stitched from high-quality Cordura® Nylon to ensure your tools stay organized and rattle-free.
Giving dad a full kit, organized, easy to access, and easy to stow away will make you the number one cherished child forever. Right now BOXO has this priced at $550. Online financing is offered to make small monthly payments and lesson the burden.
Boxo Tool Roll Main Features:
- All BOXO USA tools carry a no-hassle limited lifetime warranty
- 80-piece metric tool set with the most useful and necessary trail tools
- Durable and secure tool bag made from ultra-strong Cordura® Nylon
- Outside molle webbing system is ideal for securing the bag and for attaching multiple items
- Outer bag utilizes heavy-duty zippers for added security and ease of use
- Inner tool roll utilizes tool pouches and flaps for secure tool storage
- Large outer tool bag contains 19 individual tools
- Inner tool roll contains 61 individual tools
- Five inner removable tool bags are secured via hook and loop mounting
- KOH tool bag is designed with additional space to add more personalized items
Boxo Tool Set Includes:
- 11-Piece 12-Point combination wrenches, 8, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19mm
- 12-PIece 3/8″ 12-Point, standard sockets, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 114, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19mm
- 2-Piece 3/8″ Drive 6-point standard impact sockets, 16mm & 18mm
- 3-Piece 1/2″ Drive 6-point wheel impact sockets, 17, 19, 21mm
- 2-Piece 1/2″ Drive 6-point standard impact sockets, 33mm & 35mm
- 3/8” Ratchet
- 1/2” Ratchet
- 1/2” Breaker bar
- 9-Piece metric hex wrench set
- 9-Piece Torx key wrench set
- Ball peen hammer
- Dead blow hammer
- Heavy-duty diagonal side cutter
- Flush cut pliers
- Groove joint water pump pliers
- Long nose pliers
- Combination pliers
- Curved jaw locking pliers
- Wire cutter, wire stripper, and crimper tool
- Phillips Screwdriver #2
- Flat Screwdriver 100mm
- 1/4” Drive spinner handle
- 1/4” Spinner handle drive with 1/4” drive, 5/16 socket
- Adjustable wrench
- 8mm Pin punch
- 12 and 42-Volt compatible circuit tester
- Electrical tape
- Valve core tool
- 5-Piece tire patch kit
- 6” 3/8-Drive medium extension
- 5” 1/2-Drive impact extension
- Extendable pry bar
- Nitrate gloves
Surefire Minimus Headlamp
If your dad is anything like mine, he can barely see during broad daylight and he really struggles at night. When it gets dark, having ample lighting is so important. Having the ability to illuminate light where dad needs it when he needs it while being hands-free is both a time and a life saver. I consider a good headlamp at the top of my most essential gear provisions. Surefire is a top manufacturer of high-quality lighting products trusted by soldiers, search and rescue, first responders, and professionals everywhere.
Your dad would put to good use the Surefire Minimus Variable-Output Headlamp. The trick part of this device is the adjustable housing can rotate to angle light precisely where you need it. The push-button on/off switch offers variable of 5 to 300-lumen output. It can be worn with or without a helmet and it is a super durable hard-anodized aluminum water resistant body. Designed to last a lifetime, you are buying the Surefire quality product, the name and the price that comes with it at $199.
Surefire Minimus Headlamp Product Features:
- High-performance LED with faceted MaxVision® reflector produces a wide, smooth beam optimized to your field of vision
- Push button On/Off switch and 13 position variable-light output dial permits one-handed adjustment from 5 to 300* lumens
- Hard-anodized aerospace aluminum housing is lightweight & durable
- Push-button switch retains memory of light output at any of the 13 output settings from previous activation
- Press and hold push-button switch for 4 seconds in the off position or when light is activated for SOS mode
- Custom-made headband utilizes fine mesh material built for comfort, durability, and a secure fit, with or without a helmet
- Breathe-O-Prene® pad fits snugly and comfortably against the forehead to wick moisture. The pad can be removed for washing or replacement
- Leashed battery end cap is built from hard-anodized aluminum
- Low-profile headband adjustment clip is rugged yet comfortable
- Detachable red filter included for reduced visible signature or reading of red-light readable maps