Happening this weekend, in Ensenada, Baja California, Mexico is the NORRA 500 Presented By Method Race Wheels. Returning for the 2019 racing season, the second “Happiest Race on Earth!” NORRA 500 is set to provide a weekend full of epic racing and festivities.
Since the conception of the National Off Road Racing Association (NORRA) in the mid-sixties and then the rebirth of the racing sanction in 2010, NORRA has been a staple in desert racing.
The rally-style event features over 500 miles of racecourse, split up between two days of racing. Registrations and technical inspections start Thursday, October 10 and racing starts on Friday, October 11.
The racecourse is made up of two separate loops, one with 223 miles and the other with 281 miles. Both courses will see racing action each day. Cars and Bikes will be separated to provide better safety and simplicity. The cars will start off on Day 1 on the East loop and switch to the South Loop on Saturday’s Day 2.
Vehicle classes are split up by Technology Eras. The idea is to break up vehicles based on the technology available at the time of the era, rather than the specific build date. The specifications focus on chassis, suspension, and transmissions. Some sections have engine specifications based on the given era.
- Pioneer Era (1967 – 1975)
- Characterized by early Burros and original Stroppes
- 2” shocks, 33” max tire size, swing axle buggies (35” tire for trucks)
- Legend Era (1976 – 1982)
- Characterized by early open class IRS buggies and stock trucks
- 2” shocks, 33” max tires (35” tire for trucks)
- Challenger Era (1983 – 1988)
- Type 4 & early Porsche 6 cylinder buggies and quarter-elliptic trucks
- 2.5” shocks, 35” max tires
- Vintage Era (1989 – 1997, rolling 20 years old)
- Big engine buggies, racing transaxles, linked production-based trucks
- Big modern shocks allowed, 37” max tires
- Historic Era (20-plus-year-old tube frame trucks and truggys)
- A new era in pure tube frame unlimited trucks and truggys
- Unlimited class for 20-plus-year-old machines
- Evolution Era (Modern machines)
- Multiple classes of modern racing machines, including UTVs
- Dirt bikes and ATVs
- Savvy Safari
- Modified Stock Vehicles including 4×4 and truck
- Multiple classes of OEM non-Racing Machines
There are currently over 100 entries for the NORRA 500, ranging from dirt bikes, UTVs, classic Funco chassis cars to full-tilt trophy trucks. For more information, check out the NORRA website.