We swung by American Autowire’s booth at SEMA and took a look at what was new and fresh off the presses and we weren’t disappointed. Representative Don Buck walked us through their latest wiring kit for a popular old SUV from back in the day. American Autowire’s 1971–80 Scout II Classic Update Kit boasts many features and connectors, making it the most complete system of its type in the industry.
Don broke it down for us, “We debuted our new complete front-to-rear wiring kit. It works with the Traveller model as well as the Scout, and can accommodate the 345 cubic-inch V8, six-cylinders, or restomod applications. It’s compatible with stock or custom gauges and aftermarket heat/AC as well. Additionally, connections for exterior lights, steering column, ignition switch, and headlight switch are included.”
Let’s zoom in for more details.
- Each kit contains a new ATC fuse box and bulkhead assembly designed to fit in the stock firewall mounting location with no modification for 1978-80 models. A firewall modification template for 1971-77 vehicles is included as well.
- Dash wiring is laid out to allow for nearly all accessories. The steering column connection plugs directly into 1971-80 Scout II models and will support most aftermarket columns with an included adapter and terminal set. Terminals and printed circuit board connectors are included for use with stock clusters.
- Factory-style under-dash courtesy lamp assemblies are included for use along with your original dome/interior lighting feeds. Plug-and-play heater switch, wiper/washer switch, blower resistor wiring, and motor connections and are standard.
- Stop/tail, back-up and side marker lamp connectors attach to factory rear lamps. Stop/tail and back up lamp sockets are included for the 1978-80 models. The fuel tank sender and ground harness plugs directly onto the gauge sender. Body pass-through wiring is also included.
- Engine compartment wiring includes feeds for coil, tach, water temperature, oil pressure, electric choke, 4WD warning lamp switch, starter solenoid feeds, A/C compressor lead, electric fuel pump lead, alternator exciter feed, and neutral safety and backup feeds. A high-powered 6 gauge 1-wire alternator connection with Mega-Fuse protection is also supplied.
- New factory-style headlight switch, along with fog lamp relays, wiring, and fog lamp switch connector. Front light wiring includes extra-long leads that can be routed for stock or custom applications. Front light harness circuits include a headlight, parking/directional light, side marker light pigtails, and brake warning differential. A switched trigger wire for an electric fan relay is also provided.
American Autowire also has kits for the most popular make and models as well. Click here for more details and pricing.